I chose two specific photographs that I took which looked quite similar in position with Romeo and Juliet. This was because I was going for a more contemporary look without making it too different to the original. They were both wearing red and white which worked out to my advantage and so I got them out of my photo and copied onto the original painting. I then used a blur and blending tool around the edge of my sister and her boyfriend so it wouldnt be that noticeable that it wasn’t apart of the proper image. I also used a cloning tool to rearrange parts and cover different sections that I didn’t want visable like the bottom of Juliet’s dresss and I spent time adjusting the colour to balance it with the original. I was very proud of the finishing outcome and how well it worked out.
I then wanted to try another using double exposure as I had done some previous research on Duane Michals who used his self-portraits and combined another photo of an object or place over the top. I had also seen many examples on the Internet and a family friend in America who does her own professionally. This contemporary technique that quite a number of people today use suddenly became very fascinating to me and so I researched various ways of doing it. Using the settings on your camera first hand is one way and the easiest as it does it for you however, because I had already taken the photographs I combined the two photographs I wanted to use on photoshop and used the colour, crop and opacity tools to create the double exposure. As I had completed these two pieces I also did an experiment with clear paper where the dark outlines of photograph printed onto it.
I chose to use these last couple of pieces as my final artwork of ‘The New and Improved Contemporary Romeo and Juliet’ I was very happy with the outcome and excited to learn and produce more, developing skills and new techniques.